CHILD PROTECTION IN MICA - MINING AREAS OF JHARKHAND
The Responsible Mica Initiative –RMI
The consortium ‘Collective for Empowerment and Sustainable Action on Mica’ (CESAM)
The Responsible Mica Initiative is a collaborative organization in which multiple industries and organizations jointly commit to using responsible sourcing practices and fostering local capacity to eradicate child labour and improve the livelihood of communities within a complaint and legal mica supply chain in India .
This is a community based intervention model for community empowerment which result into improved livelihood conditions, with food and nutrition security, access to quality education for all children for their retention in schools and entitlement realizations for health and social security schemes.
The project ‘Community Empowerment Program for Responsible Mica Initiative is been implemented in Koderma districts of Jharkhand’. The project is focussing on overall wellbeing of target 2800 mica depending families, the project has reached 549 families till date of 8 villages of 3 Panchayat of Satgawan block at Koderma district
The project works on FIVE major components
- Strengthening access to livelihood opportunities through food and income security interventions
- Linking of identified vulnerable families with existing schemes and services and vocational skills for youth employability,
- Improving access to health services and promoting health seeking behaviour at Community level with focus on maternal and child health and nutrition and occupational health,
- Enabling the local environment for quality education and mainstreaming of children with formal education system and life-skills;
- Institutional strengthening for community ownership and organizational capacity for sustainability of the program and Lobby and advocacy for scale up of program
experiences and creating an enabling environment for fair mica sup
The consortium ‘Collective for Empowerment and Sustainable Action on Mica’ (CESAM) is a common identity to ensure ownership of each of the partner in the initiative.
The organisation is running child protection scheme for the Mica children, the noble project is protecting the children to avoid mica mining , taking education and helping their parents in creating alternate livelihood opportunity in the area.
Following are the major objective of the project
The project achieved major achievement in enrolling the children into mainstream school, providing their parents livelihood opportunity Major Achievement is as follows
- 18 children for the first time got birth certificate
- Material and labour worth Rs.95, 000 were contributed by communities during the renovation of AWC and school.
- 62 Children competency level were increased in language & math
- First time 37 children from hard to reach area filled Navoday (a competition examination) application form in which 15 are girls.
- Rs.6,50,550 is the profit amount from these IGAs.
- Rs. 1,53,000,00 has been approved in our target area under Mgnrega schemes.
- 409 Children actively participating in Baal manch.
- 240 children first time involved in child right situation analysis.
- 95 Children were improved their concentration, confidence Public speaking, and imagination skill through mobile library.
- 12 trees are planted by the environment committee of Baal manch simratari.